Tuesday, October 7, 2008

One whole day

From Shiangtai, a member in the chorus:

Today, I managed to waste a whole day. How? With the score in front of me, under my nose.

We have a music rehearsal this evening and one tomorrow. Our chorus master said if we did well today we could have tomorrow off. I wanted to do all I can do to memorized the whole thing, to be sure to come in on time, to sing at any speed ... etc., you know, all the good things we are supposed to do.

So, even though my kitchen sink faucet has a leak and I have bought a replacement for it, I left it aside but decided to devote the while day for the music.

Honestly, in the entire day, other than the time I took to go to the bathroom and to have two (not even three) meals, I sat there with the score in front of me.

That was not completely true. I did get up to have a cup of water once while, but I went right back and sat down; I did get up for some tea, but I went right back and sat down; I did get up to check e-mail, but I went right back and sat down; I did get up for some chocolate, but I went right back and sat down. And so on and so forth.

How much work did I accomplish all day? I got through about *ten* lines by reading them each about *three* times. What did I do the rest of the time. I was thinking about how much I need to work on the music or I was sitting there thinking of absolutely nothing. That is why I said I wasted a whole day today with the score in front of me.

When this is all over, I will have mastered the art of thinking of nothing -- a yoga master, perhaps. Or, more realistically, I would need to be treated for ADD!!

No comments: