Sunday, October 12, 2008

Once more, with feeling

From Eric Hale:

Today, we had our second run through. This time, we were in a large practice room. The extra space helped a lot, as did not having to worry about falling backward off the proscenium. However, because of the change, I’m embarrassed to say that I mixed up left and right on one entrance. This was especially embarrassing, since, within the context of the show, I could not have made that entrance unless I could teleport – and my character’s name ain’t Nightcrawler.

Unfortunately, Anna, our Micaƫla, could not be there today. That was a loss.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but today the chorus parts definitely felt better than yesterday. This on-stage action is warming up. I saw a lot on new stuff happening, and played a lot of new things myself – especially the new business Marie and I worked out in act 1.

We also had a few new props today. They helped, a lot. I remember an actor commenting to me once that she didn’t know how actors who don’t smoke could act. “What do you do with your hands?” she asked. I’ll admit that it’s sometimes a problem.

The cigarette girls do have fake cigarettes, but that’s quite a different thing.

Because Anna was out, we cut her parts. So, even with breaks, and having to restart in places, we were able to complete a run in the three hours booked for the rehearsal. I got further this time before my brain turned to mush. That’s a very good sign.

One thing I’ve not yet mentioned is that we sing off-stage part of the time. This is always tricky. In addition to not being able to see the conductor, you have to deal with the sound delays. Even at distances of a few tens of feet, which are what we are dealing with in the theater, the orchestra and the singers can get noticeably out of sync.

The way we compensate for this is to have Kevin conducting off stage. Somehow, Kevin and Wayne can agree on some fraction of a beat that that Kevin will conduct ahead of Wayne. I can’t even imagine the mental gymnastics involved in doing that. The mental gymnastics of the chorus are quite complicated enough. We have to listen to the music on stage for pitch, but ignore the rhythm. When Kevin’s arm comes down, we jump in, no matter what it sounds like back stage. Scary as it is, that’s what it takes to get the music to sound right out front.

We have tomorrow off, which is a huge luxury during production week. I’ll be putting my life in order, because there will be almost nothing in my life except Carmen and work for the next week. I’ll also be brushing up on my music and blocking.

Tuesday, we’re in Fletcher and we’ll be in costume. From that point, things speed up exponentially. Wednesday, we work with the orchestra. Thursday is final dress and Friday is the show. It feels far away and far too close at the same time.

No comments: