Friday, October 10, 2008

A moment of thanks

From Eric Hale:

Those who know me know that this has been a difficult year. I won’t go into why. However, this year, I do feel acutely what a privilege is able to do a show. I am also aware, more than ever, that this is not something I do alone. I get a lot of help. I need a lot of help.

As I am writing this, we are one week from opening. Tomorrow, Saturday, begins the frenzy that is production week. Every day will bring something new: running the show from beginning to end, singing with the orchestra, wearing costumes and makeup, rehearsing in Fletcher Opera Theater for the first time, working on the real set and with real props, having a real audience.

There’s not going to be much time to think for the next six days. So, before we get into to all that, I want to say a word about all the people who pay a price this week and who do it for us. I don’t mean to ignore the cast and crew, but we have our rituals. There will be cards on opening night, candy, gifts, parties, hugs, and all the celebration that surrounds a show. I appreciate each of you more than you know.

That being said, this is to all people whose names will not going in the program, but who are a vital part of the opera none the less:

To all the children who will miss us while we’re gone this week, thank you.

To all the spouses, partners, and other family who take on the responsibilities that should be ours, and who also miss us while we’re gone, thank you.

To all the friends who support us with time, patience and even shell out the price of a ticket, thank you.

To the co-workers who understand if we’re a little short tempered and ask at the coffee pot how the opera is going, thank you.

To the bosses who make it so much easier than it might be to be in the opera, thank you.

To everyone with an artist or a performer in your life, know that you are appreciated and loved. We could not do it without you.

No comments: